|Troy's One Hundred Years 1789-1889:
Old People's Homes
|CHURCH HOME OF THE CITY OF TROY|
for aged indigent women
The Brotherhood of St. Barnabas formally opened, on November 13th, 1854,
the House of Mercy, at No. 5 Harrison Place, as an asylum for aged
In June, 1858, the institution was removed to a larger building at No. 52 Federal Street, between Sixth and Eighth streets, which was burned in the great fire of May 10th, 1862. The asylum was rebuilt and again occupied.
The institution, by an Act of Legislature passed April 17th, 1863, was incorporated under the name of "The Church Home of the City of Troy," with a board of fifteen trustees. The two-story brick home, on the north-east corner of Seventh Street and Broadway, erected in 1873, was dedicated on April 15th, 1874. The site, building, and furniture cost about $30,000.
The convenient brick chapel, on the north side of the Church Home, was erected in 1880 to the memory of Mrs. Jacob L. LANE by her children.
The institution is supported by the contributions of the Protestant Episcopal churches in the city.
Go Back to Troy's One Hundred Years Contents Page
Go Back to Home Page