|Troy's One Hundred Years 1789-1889:
|GRACE METHODIST CHURCH OF TROY|
From a Methodist Sunday school, conducted in a school-house in Turner's Lane [later Glen Avenue], the society now [in 1891] known as Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of Troy originated.
The founders of the society who were attending religious services there elected on March 1st, 1852 Titus EDDY, Oliver BOUTWELL, George SMITH, Samuel G. SARGEANT, E. R. SWASEY, and Sylvester COOPER trustees of the organization, which they named "the Methodist Episcopal Church in North Troy".
The Rev. John L. COOK, in 1853, had charge of the society, which was at that time more commonly known as the Batestown Mission. He also had charge of the Green Island Mission. In 1854, the two missions reported 46 members, the Rev. Reuben GREGG having charge of them. On May 15th of that year, the society took the name of "the North Troy Methodist Episcopal Church".
The first meeting-house of the society was erected in 1858 on the west side of Vail Avenue, between Douw Street and Turner's Lane, and was dedicated on December 10th of that year.
The society in 1867 adopted the name of "The Vail Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church" and on April 2d, 1888 changed it to "Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of Troy". The corner-stone of the new church on Sixth (Vail) Avenue was laid on August 16th, 1888. The edifice was dedicated on Sunday, June 2d, 1889.
Go Back to Troy's One Hundred Years Contents Page
Go Back to Home Page